Named and bounded by Queensland Place Names Board 1 June 1981. Reportedly named after George Harris (1831-1891) Brisbane businessman. Named and bounded by the Minister for Natural Resources 21 July 2000. Locality re-gazetted by an Amendment Notice published in the Government Gazette on the 5 April 2012 due to the council amalgamations under the Local Government Reform Implementation Act 2007.
Median House Price