- Category: Lifestyle
- Hits: 2153
The Toowoomba Swap Meet was founded in 1972 by the Darling Downs Veteran & Vintage Motor Club Inc. (DDVVMC) primarily for trading new & used vehicles, but now includes any items such as New Old Stock (NOS) parts for vehicles, motorbikes, tools, clothing articles, antiques & collectibles.
The event is held annually at the Toowoomba Showground in the suburb of Glenvale and is considered to be one of the biggest such events of its kind in Australia. Approximately 15,000 people attend. There are over 1,800 site holders and over 500 volunteers that assist in the running of the event.
The next event is scheduled for Saturday 3rd February & Sunday 4th February 2018 at the Toowoomba Showground.
The events official website: Toowoomba Swap Meet.
Street address: Frank Thomas Avenue, Western end of, Glenvale Rd, Glenvale QLD 4350.
- Category: Parks & Gardens
- Hits: 1763
The Picnic Point Lookout and parkland is situated on the eastern edge of town in the suburb of Rangeville. The parkland reserve encompasses an area of 65 hectares (approx. 650,000 square meters) with panoramic views of Table Top mountain and the Lockyer Valley.
Originally, when the reserve was established in 1885, 15 hectares (150,000 square meters) was allocated by William Henry Groome (Toowoomba’s first mayor) as a location of prominent significance in Toowoomba.
The lookout really puts into perspective the true extent of Toowoomba’s elevation and is the highest point on the parkland area. The area has several lookouts including the Bill Goulds Lookout – established by Lions Club of Toowoomba West in 1991 and dedicated to Lions Club member Bill Goulds.
Some of the significant features of Picnic Point include parkland (Tobruk Drive Park, Lions Park, Heller Street Park), Picnic Point Square (which has a 150 foot flag pole with the Australian flag, to celebrate the 150th birthday of Queensland) and landscaped garden areas.
There is an artificial waterfall and garden area in Lions Park (which is popular for wedding ceremonies, there is a kiosk/café and and function centre and the Picnic Point Bushland reserve area popular for its bush walking trails. Several picnic areas are available.
Picnic point also has a water tower which was opened in 1963. It is know locally as ‘the mushroom’ due to its design resembling that of a mushroom. It is approximately 15 meters in height.
There is also the Puppy Memorial – dedicated to the mascot of the Toowoomba Thistle Pipe Band. 'Puppy', as he was known, died unfortunately in 1958 when he was run over by a car.
Picnic Point became heritage listed on the 13th November of 2008 on the Queensland Heritage Register.
- Category: Regional
- Hits: 2369
The original Toowoomba flag consisted of the Toowoomba city coat of arms centrally oriented against a purple background with the cities name positioned vertically from top to bottom on the left hand side of the flag in the colour of white and in capital letters.
A new flag was created in 2007 upon the forming of the Toowoomba Regional Council with the predominant colours of white and teal. The design of the new flag symbolises unity of the eight amalgamated former councils. The three white rings in the flag are used to indicate the eight merged councils and the colour of teal is a symbol of unity amongst the former councils.
Please note: The flag images below were created by toowoomba.org and are copyrighted. Permission is required before the images can be used for any other purpose. Thank you for your understanding.
- Category: Parks & Gardens
- Hits: 2060
The Newtown Park & State Rose Gardens history dates as far back as 1912. The park was was officially opened on the 20th of September 1913.
Throughout its history the park was used as part of the war efforts during both WWI & WWII. There is a memorial central to the park dedicated to the 11th Light Horse Regiment.
During the 1930’s an avenue of trees in the formation of St. George Cross was planted.
The park consists of approximately 30 acres and comprises 3 sections - The Queensland State Rose Garden, a children's playground and barbecue area and sports ovals. There are also picnic areas including a picnic shelter, and a water fountain.
The effort to establish the rose garden itself began in 2001, and is primarily a community collaboration, with both residents and volunteers of the ‘Friends of the Queensland State Rose Garden’ contributing to the gardens development.
There are approximately 2000 rose plantations in the garden, including predominantly Floribunda, Hybrid Tea, David Austin.
The park celebrated its centenary on 03/11/2013, and to commemorate, the Queensland State Government & Toowoomba Regional Council contributed plaques, additional gardens, new interconnecting footpaths & lighting.
As with many Toowoomba parks the area is common for wedding ceremonies.
The park is accessible off Holberton Street, where there is a car park as well.
- Category: Parks & Gardens
- Hits: 1873
Queens Park is located in the suburb of East Toowoomba and is the cities premier park. Land for the park was officially allocated in 1871. The parks first curator was Edward Way from 1874, and the parks second curator was Richard Ross Harding from 1883-1917. The park as it is today was heritage listed by the state of Queensland in 2001 and is primarily formed of three distinct sections, namely Queens Park Botanic Gardens, The Vera Lacaze Memorial Park and The greater park area.
Queens Park Botanic Gardens which has a memorial for Alfred Thomas who had a premier role in the progression of the rail network in the Toowoomba area, there is also a naval cannon which was used for training purposes by the Queensland Marine Defence forces which was donated to the citizens of Toowoomba in 1911.
Other features of the Botanic Gardens section of the park include a memorial for Emma Miller who was an advocate for worthwhile causes, large columns donated to the city by the NAB in 1987 and also a stone entrance arch.
The Vera Lacaze Memorial Park section stands in honor of the first female alderman of the Toowoomba City Council. Features in this section of the park include a water fountain, a bridge over east creek, walkways and picnic facilities.
The greater park area which is between the Botanic Gardens and the Vera Lacaze Memorial park has many highlights including the Godsall Street Ovals, a playground area on the corner of Lindsay and Margaret Streets, the Avenue of trees made up of Camphor Laurel, a memorial to William Charles Peak who was a prominent Toowoomba business man who contributed to the growth of the Toowoomba region.
The greater park area also has a Buffalo-Springfield Steamroller that was was purchased by the Toowoomba City Council in 1937 and remained in use until it was retired in 1956. Remnants of the diagonally planted Cypress Avenue still exist, which are natives of the Central coast of California.
Frog’s Hollow – grassed ovals on the corner of Hume and Margaret Streets is a venue for large community events. This is first spot in Toowoomba where Alford family on their way to Drayton came into contact with Aboriginal Australians in 1842.
Address: 43-79 Lindsay Street, East Toowoomba