- Category: History
- Hits: 250
Toowoomba city is full of heritage, and for people interested in exploring the city's history, there are several self guided historic walk brochures and pamphlets available on the Toowoomba Regional council website.
Some of the areas available to explore include the Caledonain Estate, Mort Estate, Russell Street, Newtown, Queens Park, East Creek Park and others.
Official website: historic walks
- Category: Entertainment
- Hits: 249
4GR was the brainchild of Edward (Ted) Gold and was Queensland's first commercial radio station and the sixth oldest in Australia following 2UE (Sydney), 2HD (Newcastle), 2UW (Sydney), 5DN (Adelaide), 3UZ (Melbourne).
Commencing on the 16th of August 1926 and celebrating it's 90th birthday in 2016, the Radio stations callname is named after it's creator (4GR - Gold Radio).
Ownership changed hands several time including RG Capital (Reg Grundy), Macquarie Regional RadioWorks, Southern Cross Media, and it's current owner Southern Cross Austereo.
The name of the radio station was changed to Triple M in 2016.
Radio Frequency: 864 kHz AM
web: 4GR Radio
- Category: Lifestyle
- Hits: 370
Village Fair was a shopping centre in Toowoomba that first opened its doors in 1989.
The shopping centre would exchange owners several times including a name change to Gardentown, before finally being purchased in 2009 by QIC (Queensland Investment Corp) for $30 million.
With a floor space of approx. 12,500 square meters and occupancy of up to 60 stores, anchor tenants included Franklins, Best & Less, Lincraft and others.
Once Grand Central shopping centre opened in the mid 1990's Village Fair became a less popular shopping destination.
Shortly after QIC purchased Gardentown in 2009, plans were drafted to extend Grand Central over the railway line, Dent and Station Streets that would then connect to a new development were Gardentown stood. with approx. 150 new stores and additional parking.
Construction commenced in 2014 and completed in early 2017.
- Category: History
- Hits: 240
Toowoomba's first courthouse is known as the Old Toowoomba court house and is located at 90 Margaret St in East Toowoomba. Built between 1861 and 1864 this is also the location of the former Toowoomba Gaol.
Heritage listing of the Old Toowoomba Court house and Gaol wall - the only part of the original Gaol that remains (which faces Sterling St) took place on 30 June 2001 (Queensland Heritage Register).
Toowoomba's second courthouse is located at 46 Neil Street, Toowoomba (corner of Margaret and Neil St).
First stage of construction of the building commenced in 1876 and was completed in 1878. Over the proceeding decades additional buildings would be built on the site as well as extensions to the original building.
Replacing a smaller building first built on the same site in 1876, the Toowoomba Court which is of a 'Classicism' style was designed by architect FDG Stanley and built in stages.
Building materials used for the construction included sandstone quarried from Highfields.
Heritage listing took place on 21st October 1992
In 1979 the Toowoomba court relocated to a new purpose-built present day courthouse on Hume Street which cost $2.2 million dollars.
- Category: People
- Hits: 222
The demonyms of Toowoomba include Toowoombian, Toowoomban and Toowoombarite which are sometimes used to reference the city of Toowoomba and its residents.
For the uninitiated, a demonym is a word that identifies residents or natives of a particular place and is usually derived from the name of the place.
So essentially a person who comes from Toowoomba could, for example, be called a Toowoombarite.
Further reading: Demonym on Wikipedia