St. Matthew’s Church of England is a heritage-listed church located in the suburb of Drayton, Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia1. It was designed by James Marks and built from 1886 to 1887 by Seath, Hobart and Watson1. The church is made of bluestone and is complemented by a timber hall built in 1913 and a rectory built in 1902-1903, both of which were moved to this site in 1930.
St. Matthew’s Church of England is the oldest parish on the Darling Downs and is associated with the early development of Drayton and of the Anglican church in Queensland. It replaced a timber slab church and illustrates the growth of the area. The church is part of a continuing tradition of Anglican worship established during the first years of European settlement on the Darling Downs.
The church is a small bluestone church constructed in 1886-7 to the design of James Marks. It is complemented by a timber hall built in 1913 and a rectory built in 1902-1903, both of which were moved to this site in 1930. The church is a state heritage-listed building and is known for its architectural significance and historical importance.
St. Matthew’s Church of England is a loving Christian fellowship serving the south-western suburbs of Toowoomba and the nearby towns of the southern Darling Downs: Cambooya, Wyreema, Westbrook, and Umbiram. Through the grace of Christ Jesus, they seek to love and serve God, each other, and their community.