The Newtown Park & State Rose Gardens history dates as far back as 1912. The park was was officially opened on the 20th of September 1913.
Throughout its history the park was used as part of the war efforts during both WWI & WWII. There is a memorial central to the park dedicated to the 11th Light Horse Regiment.
During the 1930’s an avenue of trees in the formation of St. George Cross was planted.
The park consists of approximately 30 acres and comprises 3 sections - The Queensland State Rose Garden, a children's playground and barbecue area and sports ovals. There are also picnic areas including a picnic shelter, and a water fountain.
The effort to establish the rose garden itself began in 2001, and is primarily a community collaboration, with both residents and volunteers of the ‘Friends of the Queensland State Rose Garden’ contributing to the gardens development.
There are approximately 2000 rose plantations in the garden, including predominantly Floribunda, Hybrid Tea, David Austin.
The park celebrated its centenary on 03/11/2013, and to commemorate, the Queensland State Government & Toowoomba Regional Council contributed plaques, additional gardens, new interconnecting footpaths & lighting.
As with many Toowoomba parks the area is common for wedding ceremonies.
The park is accessible off Holberton Street, where there is a car park as well.