Unveiled by Queensland Governor Sir Matthew Nathan in 1922 after the mothers of soldiers from Toowoomba and surrounding districts who did not return from WWI decided to fund and build the memorial in honor of their sons.
Sweet violets which would eventually become known as the Toowoomba Violet and be adopted as Toowoomba's floral emblem were sold in 1914 to raise funds to build the memorial, .
Originally located at the intersection of the cities main intersection of Ruthven and Margaret St, the eight metre high memorial was relocated and re-dedicated to its current location at East Creek Park on the 10th November 1985 due to traffic congestion.
ANZAC day commemorations have taken place at the memorials location since 1916.
address: East Creek Park, Margaret St, Toowoomba