Located on 138 Margaret St, the old Toowoomba post office was designed in 1877 by Queensland architect FDG Stanley with tenders to build put out in 1878.
Constructed with sandstone quarried from Highfields, it is based on a revivalism style architecture and includes a clock tower 17 meters in height designed by London company, Bland.
With the building completed in 1880, the total cost of construction was approximately £8,100.
Following the relocation of the post office in 1999, the building was sold off in 2001, and it's present day usage includes commercial premises and a cafe.
In 2003 the building was listed on the Queensland Heritage register.