- Category: Flora
- Hits: 1890
The botanical name of the Arrowhead Violet is Viola Betonicifolia, it is an evergreen perennial, also referred to as the Mountain Violet is a species of violet native along the eastern side of Australia mainly along the Great Dividing Range, which Toowoomba sits on. This species of violet is also common in India and Pakistan.
So named due to the shape of it's leaf in the formation of an arrowhead shape, in comparison to its European cousin Viola Odorata which instead has a large heart shaped leaf formation.
The violet prefers a semi shaded rockery environment such as the edge of forests.
The Australia Fritillary Butterfly, which is now almost extinct is dependent on the Arrowhead violet for existence.
- Category: History
- Hits: 1709
Spring Bluff Railway Station forms part of the Ipswich to Toowoomba rail line.
Construction of the line began in 1864 and the premier train came through Toowoomba in 1867.
Originally known as Highfields Train Station, it was renamed Spring Bluff Railway Station in the later part of the nineteenth century by then Queensland railway commissioner Robert John Gray.
The namesake comes from the spring water and sandstone bluffs (broad rounded cliffs) that were prevalent in the area, hence ‘Spring Bluff’.
The railway station today itself serves no operational capacity, this having been ended in 1992, but it still serves as a reminder of the railway heritage and famous garden landscapes of the area and social significance at the time.
The station was heritage listed by the National Trust of Queensland in 1994.
- Category: Arts and Literature
- Hits: 2488
The aim was to showcase works of art from the Toowoomba region, and to that extent, the gallery itself was established by the Toowoomba Art Society in 1937.
Originally located in a section of the Toowoomba City Hall, and eventually consuming an entire floor, the gallery is the oldest public regional art gallery in Queensland.
A movement to give the art gallery a dedicated premises by the Toowoomba Art Gallery Society culminated with an old office building adjacent to the Toowoomba City Hall being purpose modified and fitted to accommodate three times the area of the gallery's former location.
In 1994 the gallery relocated to its present location, 531 Ruthven Street, Toowoomba, and the gallery now hosts approximately 3000 pieces of artwork.
The Gallery has three permanent collections, those being the Toowoomba City Collection, the Lionel Lindsay Gallery and Library and the Fred and Lucy Gould Collection. The Gallery also offers a section dedicated to local artists as well.
The Gallery itself is owned and run by the Toowoomba Regional Council and offers guided tours and a Gallery shop with great gift ideas.
Useful links: Toowoomba Regional Art Gallery
- Category: Parks & Gardens
- Hits: 2827
The Willow Springs adventure park was established during the 1970's.
It was located on a 40,500 square meter (10 acres) in the Toowoomba suburb of Kearneys Spring at 333 Spring St.
The recreational adventure park included included many outdoor activities and barbecue areas.
The park was sold and eventually shut down and reopened as 'The Springs Garden World' nursery.
- Category: Infrastructure
- Hits: 3638
- Toowoomba Aerodrome
- Address: Mutze St opposite the Department of Main Roads
- Name : (TWB) Toowoomba Airport
- Location : Toowoomba QLD, AU
- Latitude : -27.542221
- Longitude : 151.9139
- FlightStats Code: TWB
- IATA Code: TWB
- ICAO Code: YTWB
- FAA Code:
- Time Zone: +10:00 hours from UTC/GMT
- Brisbane West Wellcamp Airport (WTB)
- Address: 1511 Toowoomba-Cecil Plains Rd, Wellcamp QLD 4350
- Name: Brisbane West Wellcamp Airport (WTB)
- Location: Wellcamp AU
- Latitude: -27.55861
- Longitude: 151.795
- FlightStats Code: WTB
- IATA Code: WTB
- ICAO Code:
- FAA Code:
- Time Zone: +10:00 hours from UTC/GMT
- Category: History
- Hits: 5798
Toowoomba City Library's Local History Library
476 Ruthven Street, Toowoomba QLD 4350
Phone +61 7 4638 7766
There are many theories regarding the naming of Toowoomba. The theories known are summarised below. For further information please refer to the sources at the end of this brochure.
When Toowoomba was first discovered, it was known as the 'Drayton Swamp' and was often referred to as 'The Swamp'. It is believed that Aborigines trying to say 'The Swamp' pronounced a word sounding link 'Tawampa', which easily becomes Toowoomba.
A second version features a letter to the Toowoomba City Council from Stelle Rudd claiming that his father told him that in 1848 he first saw Toowoomba and in 1849, attached to JC Burnett, he assisted to lay it out. He believed that it was derived from the native name of 'Toogoom' because of the reeds that grew here.
A third versionand a widely accepted theory of the use of Toowoomba's name comes from Mrs Alford, wife of James Alford, on of the first businessmen in both Drayton and Toowoomba. It is believed that Mrs Alford asked the natives what they called the area. The replied 'Woomba Woomba' meaning 'the springs and the water underneath'. The Alford's realised that two woombas would not be a suitable name for their house and store but by using TOO which is also a type of plural it would become Toowoomba.
In 1875 W.H. Groom wrote an account of Toowoomba, stating the name 'Toowoomba' derived from an Aboriginal word meaning 'great in the future' however he gave no source to this information.
The fifth theory came from a botanist by the name of Archibald Meston. In 1895 Meston wrote a book titled "A Geographical History of Queensland", which included his explanation of the name "Toowoomba".
"Toowoom" or "Choowom" was the local blacks' name for a small native melon (Cucumus pubescens) which grew plentifully on the site of the township. The terminal "ba" is equal to the adverb "There", so the whole word means "melons there", and to an Aboriginal it meant "the place where the melon grows".
This melon still exists and can be found growing in the Balonne and Warrego areas as well areas closer to Toowoomba however there is no evidence that the melons grew in or near the Toowoomba swamps.
The sixth version came from a man called Enoggera Charlie who wrote his story in the Sydney Morning History. He claimed when he was looking for work as a tar boy, he had camped overnight near the Toowoomba Swamp. Questioning an old shepherd sage of the naming of the Toowoomba Swamps he was informed that near the junction of the East and West Swamp there was a log with the inscription informing tramps the way to a well-known homestead where there was a certainty to rations. The inscription read 'To Woombrah'.
At around the same time that Enoggera Charlie wrote to the Sydney Morning Herald another man by the name of Ardlaw Lawrence put forward his theory. He suggested that the name Toowoomba may be an Anglicised version of the 'Boowoomga' which meant 'thunder' in the dialect of the Upper Burnett and Gayndah tribes. However he could give no reason for the name being transferred to the Darling Downs.
Writing in a pamphlet in 1899, George Essex Evans wrote that the name Toowoomba meant 'meeting of the waters' however this was again written without authentication.
Controversy surrounds the various theories of the naming of Toowoomba. Opinions vary and verifying the theories is difficult with some theories having little if any written evidence ti support them. In the final analysis though, Toowoomba became "Toowoomba" regardless of which theory is correct.