- Category: History
- Hits: 193
In 1916, land in Bowen Street Toowoomba was earmarked as the site of the Toowoomba Trades Hall, and although the site was purchased it had to be on-sold due to financial reasons by the Toowoomba Trades Hall Board.
A few years later a new site, that of the former Toowoomba Congregational Church at 133 Margaret Street was purchased in 1919. A decade later in 1929 the building was sold as it was considered unfit to serve as a Trades Hall.
Not long after the Margaret St site was sold in 1929, a new site was designated as the location of the new Trades Hall in Russell St which was purchased for £1600.
The Trades Hall building at the Margaret Street site was designed by Matthew Williamson in 1933 and was built in 1934 for £3948 by builder Kell & Rigby.
The building was officially opened on the 14th July 1934 and as well as serving as the main location for union activity, the Toowoomba Trades Hall was also used for other civic purposes.
- Category: Education
- Hits: 188
Toowoomba Technical College is also known as the Southern Queensland Institute of Technical & Further Education (SQIT) - Hume Street Campus.
Designed by Thomas Pye, the College was built on land that was acquired in 1908 and is located in a prominent Toowoomba CBD position opposite Queens Park on the corner of Hume & Margaret Streets.
Comprising the original larger main double story building, referred to as Block A which was complemented by two separate smaller single story buildings, one used as a chemistry lab and the other as a carpenters workshop.
Additional buildings were later added - a timber building in 1913 (Block B), a brick classroom in 1931 (Block D) and a wooden building in 1955 (Block C).
- Category: History
- Hits: 157
Listed below is a near complete index of Toowoomba buildings and locations detailed on the Queensland Heritage Register.
The aim of this article to provide a link to a more detailed narrative of each of these heritage listed locations.
Currently, this is a work in progress and if you can assist, please contact me.
- Toowoomba Technical College (former)
- Toowoomba Trades Hall
- Toowoomba Court House & Old Toowoomba Gaol Wall (former)
- Toowoomba Foundry Pty Ltd
- Toowoomba Post Office (former)
- Toowoomba Grammar School
- Toowoomba Railway Station, Honour Board and Railway Yard Structures
- Men's Toilet, Russell Street, Toowoomba
- Toowoomba Court House
- Toowoomba Police Station Complex
- Drayton and Toowoomba Cemetery
- Toowoomba Malthouse
- Toowoomba Permanent Building Society
- Toowoomba East State School
- Toowoomba South State School (former)
- Toowoomba Hospital
- Toowoomba City Hall
- Toowoomba Queens Park and Botanic Gardens
- Toowoomba North State School
- Baillie Henderson Hospital
- Tyson Manor - Strathmore
- Exchange Building
- Smithfield House
- Gowrie House
- Vacy Hall
- Laurel Bank Park
- Carlton House
- Soldiers Memorial Hall
- Gladstone House and Cottage
- Glen Alpine
- Clifford House
- Defiance Flour Mill
- Bishop's House
- Concordia College Administration Centre
- White Horse Hotel
- Wesley Uniting Church
- St Luke's Church Hall
- Harlaxton House
- Alexandra Building
- Picnic Point and adjacent Parkland
- Strand Theatre
- Cottage (68 Stephen Street)
- St Lukes Anglican Church
- Karingal Chambers
- St James Parish Hall
- Oak Lodge and Spreydon
- St Patrick's Cathedral
- Ascot House
- Boyce Gardens
- Empire Theatre (former)
- Pigott's Building
- The Downs Co-operative Dairy Association Limited Factory (former)
- St James Church
- Wislet (Former Wesley Hospital)
- O'Shea's Drayton Cottage
- St Matthew's Church of England
- Royal Bull's Head Inn
- Harristown State High School
- Main Range Railway
- Category: History
- Hits: 143
The Caledonian Estate is an area in East Toowoomba bound by Burstow St to the west, Herries Street to the south, Lindsay Street to the east and Austral Lane to the north.
The estate is named after the Caledonian Society, which is the formation of a group of people of Scottish ancestory who observe Scottish traditions. The estate is the area in Toowoomba that was used by the Caledonian Society for their sporting activites.
Many of the buildings in the estate have unique character from the era. Some of the unique landmarks in the area include the Toowoomba Gaol, Toowoomba Mothers Memorial and the camphor laurel lined Herries Street.
The Caledonian Estate is part of Toowoomba's Historic Walks. For more information please follow this link: Historic Walks.
- Category: Economy
- Hits: 175
Bridge Street Quarry was in production for over one hundred years between the 1870's until 1994.
The quarry is located on the eastern side of Toowoomba in the suburb of Prince Henry Heights, at the end of Bridge Street.
The predominant rock type in the quarry was olivine basalt.
In 2001 the then Toowoomba City Council proposed a plan for the re-development of the Bridge Street Quarry (to be named Etopia Quarry Gardens), but this did not eventuate because of funding and other issues like the ongoing drought at the time.
The expected funding for the re-development was expected to be approx. $60 million, and the objective was to create a 'garden parkland' that would attract tourism to the Toowoomba region.
Recently there has been talk of the Toowoomba Regional Council re-floating the quarries re-development.
Historical weblink: Quarry Gardens